How's everyone adjusting to staying at home with the kids?
Last Thursday it still felt things are relatively normal except I'm working from home with the kids. Then we found out school's gonna be out for 2 weeks due to Coronavirus, and quickly it escalated. We learned there are now 8 cases in Cambridge, and over 300 cases in Massachusetts and growing at over 20% a day. And it's frustrating to learn about the woefully behind testing, supposedly to be ramped up soon.
Looking at last week's poll result and it already feels a bit out of date, with most parents feeling just somewhat worried. Instead, the comment from one parent about "hospital systems becoming overwhelmed... I think we will become Italy" is not outside the realm of possibility. :(
And many of us still have the practical concerns of how to Work from Home (WFH) with kids home. A few of you mentioned you like my idea of getting the kids to make their own schedule.
How's my week of WFH with the kids? First the good:
- My kids got used to me doing video calls for work, and only pop in for cameos once in a while.
- The 5th graders did a video call every morning, and kept it fun and short.
- My son's 5th grade teacher is doing daily video call with the class, and assigning them work. My son's been working till 6pm for the last 2 days to get the assigned work done. Could be he's just not that organized?
- Can I just give a shoutout to the amazing teachers that are trying so hard to get the kids to learn still?
- We also did one video call with daughter's 2nd grade class, and it was fun for the kids but pretty chaos. ;-)
- My husband's been great at cooking yummy food for us.
- We played a lot of board games at home
And now the bad:
- Too much screen time for the kids. But hard to stop as I need to get work done too, and as the kids rightly say, I'm on the screen all day too. :(
- I yelled at the kids more: to keep quiet while I'm doing a work call, to get off the screen for the last time, to go to bed, pleeease!
And finally everyone's favorite:
- Our daily family exercise time, typically in the late afternoon. We've played tennis when the weather cooperated, jogged with my older one, taken walks in the rain, or gone to a park, see pic below.
(And In case you're wondering, yes that's my daughter wearing her own home-made "mask", a travel eye shade. ;-)
- We've also tried home - exercises, including yoga, 7 minute workout, using some apps.
- Looking to the weekend ahead, we have some fun things you can do with kids from home, and some outdoors idea.
How are you surviving staying at home? What's your biggest struggle?
Also share what works for you in the comments. We can help each other out with ideas. :)